11 Famous Quotes About Law
Law is a cornerstone of civilization–it’s crucial in maintaining order, ensuring justice, and protecting our rights and freedoms. From ancient philosophers to modern thinkers, many influential minds have contemplated the role and significance of law. For instance, Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben believed that because humans have a capacity for language, politics–which inevitably leads to the creation of law and order–is something naturally inherent to the existence of humankind.
11 Famous Quotes About Law
Here are just a few of our favorite quotes from throughout the ages that have shed light on the profound impact of law on human society:
1. John Locke: “The end of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom. For in all the states of created beings capable of law, where there is no law, there is no freedom.”
2. Immanuel Kant: “In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.”
3. Aristotle: “At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.”
4. Antonio Villaraigosa: “Let me be clear- no one is above the law. Not a politician, not a priest, not a criminal, not a police officer. We are all accountable for our actions.”
5. Thomas Aquinas: “Law; an ordinance of reason for the common good, made by him who has care of the community.”
6. B.R. Ambedkar: “Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body politic gets sick, medicine must be administered.”
7. Maximilien Robespierre: “Any law which violated the inalienable rights of man is essentially unjust and tyrannical; it is not a law at all.”
8. Pope John Paul II: “When freedom does not have a purpose, when it does not wish to know anything about the rule of law engraved in the hearts of men and women, when it does not listen to the voice of conscience, it turns against humanity and society.”
9. Henry Adams: “Chaos was the law of nature; order was the dream of man.”
10. J. William Fulbright: “Law is the essential foundation of stability and order both within societies and in international relations.”
11. Martin Luther King Jr.: “I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.”
These quotes help illustrate the complexity and depth of the legal system and its impact on civilization. They also highlight the importance of upholding laws that are just, respectable, and that protect individual freedoms.
Personal Injury & Criminal Defense Lawyer in Scottsdale
Whether you’ve been injured or accused of a crime, the compassionate team at Van Norman Law can help. We are dedicated to protecting your rights, advocating for your best interests, and upholding the values demonstrated in these quotes. We’ve been representing personal injury victims and defending criminal cases for nearly 30 years in Arizona.
Give us a call at 480-481-0616 today to schedule a free consultation.