Important Slip and Fall Accident Information & Safety Tips
Important Information on Slip and Fall Accidents
Experiencing a slip and fall accident could be tragic. They can result in bumps, bruises, broken bones, concussions, and even death. It is important to be careful, not only when you are out and about, but when you are in your home as well. Certain people are more at risk for slip and falls than others. For the very young and the elderly they can be particularly dangerous.
The Danger Rises as We Age
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, one in three adults experiences a slip and fall every year. For some, this can be more dangerous than others. Statistics gathered in 2013 showed 25,500 adult deaths as a result of slip and falls during that year. A large majority of these deaths involved individuals over the age of 65. Additionally, there were 250,000 reported hip fractures, 95 percent of which were the direct result of a slip and fall.
Slip and Fall Safety Tips
Now that we know that slip and falls become more dangerous as we age, what steps can we take to stay safe? Here are some helpful tips for how you van make your home a little safer:
1. Install non-slip shower mats and sturdy handrails in the bathroom and inside the shower
2. Remove clutter from high traffic rooms
3. Arrange furniture so that there is ample space to navigate from room to room
4. Make sure edges of rugs or carpets are flat and are not creating a tripping hazard
5. Canes or other walking aids should be used if an individual is unsteady or has trouble walking